Monday, August 22, 2011

Birthday Cake Practice

E's birthday is in September and 6 months ago, we started talking about what theme he wanted for his birthday party.  He chose MONSTERS!  Not monster trucks or super scary monsters and not Monsters, Inc monsters.  Friendly monsters!

I have been looking up different cake designs for a monster cake and I found one that I thought I could do.  While looking online, I found an awesome baking website   http://www.whisk-kid.com/  She has an AWESOME rainbow cake and that was the inspiration for the inside of my monster cake.

E is very intense on adding the gel food coloring.  Gel food coloring is a lot brighter than your mom's food coloring.  As you can see, it makes the colors very bright.
I wasn't sure what color I wanted the monster cake to be, so I made four different colors.


I didn't want to make four different cakes and I wanted to see what would happen when I mixed them together in one pan.  Here is the pan before it went in the oven.
Here's what it looked like when it came out of the oven.  It looked even cooler when I cut into it, but I didn't get a picture of that.

The cake tasted very good and the colors were very bright too.  I also had to make a practice run at the buttercream frosting and how I was going to decorate the cake to make it look like a monster! 

No comments:

Post a Comment