Sunday, August 28, 2011

I Did It!!!

I finished my first 5k as an adult!  I ran the whole entire thing!  I finished in 38 minutes!  My goal was to finish in 45 minutes and not walk and I accomplished both of those goals!

Someone wrote some sayings on the path that we ran on, a few that have stuck in my mind..."Running is easier than childbirth",  "There are people still in bed and you are here running!", "At least you can run", and my favorite, "Stop thinking, quit it, stop thinking right now!"  How true was that last statement.  For every positive thought, I had at least one negative thought - for awhile at least.  Then I saw the last statement and realized that my thinking was getting in the way of my running and enjoying myself.

Don't get me wrong, it was tough, but I really felt alive and I want to do it again!


My mom and E came to support me (Joe worked the night before and had to work at the fair that evening, so he was sleeping).  There was a 2k walk/run following the 5k.  The three of us were signed up for the 2k.  E was very excited for his race and boy did he race!


He RAN at least 3/4 of the entire 2k.  He did fall going down the hill once and he did feel the urge to crawl back up the hill for some reason, but he ran most of it.  He reminded me very much of his uncle Kyle and the joy he had in running.




Following the 2k was the award ceremony for the top three finishers in each age group.  Sven Sundgaard was there along with Shawn's wife Jennifer to hand out the awards.

Jennifer is such a strong woman and she has given me strength!  I will write more on her later-but back to running!

E was signed up for the kids 50 yard Daisy Dash.  He was even more excited for this race.  For days prior, anytime I talked about the race, he told me that he "was going to win a shiny medal!"  I wasn't sure if there was going to be a shiny medal, but lucky us, there was a shiny medal for him at the end of the race.
Very serious before the start of his race.

A SHINY medal!

E told me that he wasn't tired, and this was the scene two minutes after we left the park!

What a fabulous day!  I can't wait for next years run!

No comments:

Post a Comment