Monday, July 18, 2011

Garden Update


Our garden is EXPLODING and it is very exciting.  Here is just one of many cucumbers that is growing.  I am hoping that we will have more cucumbers than we know what to do with this year, last year I only got two.
 Cucumbers are on the far end, growing up the trellis, sunflowers are growing tall in the middle, lettuce is in the middle, garden beans are next and then onions.
 We are already planning the garden for next year, and I want to plant more lettuce.  This has been the best thing out of the garden so far.  It is so awesome to go out into the garden and pick fresh lettuce for sandwiches or burgers.  I have also harvested about 15 beans from this plot.

This is 1 VERY large tomato plant!  There are actually two tomato plants here of the same variety.  I bought the large one from a local farmer and the smaller one from the Farmer's Market.  Next year, we won't be using precious garden space for tomatoes, they will go in pots.

This plot also holds 10 stalks of corn, green peppers, garden beans and peas.

 Our corn was "knee high" by the fourth of July!  I am hoping that we get some corn but I am not expecting it to turn out.  I have been learning about how corn pollinates and I was told that each kernel of corn comes from 1 drop of pollen onto the tassels, so that is a LOT of pollen.

 Here is a small bunch of tomatoes that are growing on the large plant.  I was thinking about letting them get a little bigger and making Fried Green Tomatoes.

The first tomato of the season.  Funny thing is, I don't eat fresh tomatoes.  Joe ate this one on a cheeseburger, the night that I picked it.  He said that it was very good.  I will be turning the other tomatoes into sauce and soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment